Number 9, number 9. Fedora 9 Preview has been cleared for takeoff!

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Apr 19 19:38:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 09:06 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > I got the image via bittorrent and it appears to check out:
> >
> >         $ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
> >         Fedora-9-Preview-x86_64-DVD.iso: OK
> >
> > Yet I seem to have made two coasters with this so far.
> >
> > When I attempted to burn the image using Brasero, it told me the DVD-R
> > wasn't big enough. K3b writes the image, but upon verification says it
> > can't find any tracks. And I'm not able to mount the disc.
> >

> Can you loopback mount the .iso file?
>     mkdir -p /mnt/tmp1
>     mount -o ro,loop Fedora-9-Preview-x86_64-DVD.iso /mnt/tmp1
>     ls /mnt/tmp1
>
> The .iso is more than 2**32 bytes in size; 0x10bb1a000 to be exact:
>      4491157504  Fedora-9-Preview-x86_64-DVD.iso
> This suggests a bug (not using 'long long' in enough places when
> talking about .iso size) in the programs you used.

That works.

Another attempt to mount the second disc I burned was successful;
however, I'm still unable to boot from it.

At this point I'm beginning to question the reliability of this entire
package of DVD+R media.

BTW, "long" is 8 bytes on x86_64. You have to use "int" to get a 4-byte
integer type--which could be Brasero's problem. Though really one should
use a type whose size is not architecture-dependent for such a thing as
this.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>