How is the new networking world supposed to work?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Mon Apr 21 00:26:37 UTC 2008

Dan Williams wrote:
>> - Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Type:              Wired
>>     Driver:            forcedeth
>>     State:             connected
>>     HW Address:        00:00:00:00:00:00
>
> I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
> race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
> sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
> that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
> don't usually have firmware.

I actually managed to fix my problem by disabling the "network" service. I
guess the remaining question is why the interface ends up in a b0rked state
when it is first brought up by "network" and then taken over by NM. Should
"network" actually bring the interface up if the config file says
"NM_CONTROLLED=yes"?

I think it would be useful to define the semantics when both services are
started. Should there be two sets of interfaces determined by NM_CONTROLLED
and each service only caring for its "own" so that they don't collide or
should this work like an override mechanism where one service takes over
interfaces from the service that ran before?

>>     Capabilities:
>>       Supported:       yes
>>       Carrier Detect:  yes
>>       Speed:           100 Mb/s
>>
>>     Wired Settings
>>
>>     IP Settings:
>>       IP Address:      192.168.2.100
>>       Subnet Mask:     255.255.255.0
>>       Broadcast:       192.168.2.255
>>       Gateway:         192.168.2.1
>>       DNS:             195.50.140.178
>>       DNS:             195.50.140.114
>>       DNS:             192.168.2.1
>>

>> - Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Type:              Wired
>>     Driver:            3c59x
>>     State:             unavailable
>>     HW Address:        00:50:04:49:E0:EC
>
> This is the interesting part; and also something I've seen once in
> conjunction with the issues above.  The "unavailable" state for wired
> devices usually means NM can't detect a carrier for that card.  In your
> case though, NM seems to think it does support carrier detection, since
> it responds correctly to either MII register accesses or ethtool
> queries.

eth1 isn't connected so the "unavailable" state is correct. That interface
isn't used at all.

>>     Capabilities:
>>       Supported:       yes
>>       Carrier Detect:  yes
>>       Speed:           10 Mb/s
>>
>>     Wired Settings
>>
>> (I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
>> to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)
>
> You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files.  That's  a bit
> easier...

Indeed, thanks for the tip.

Regards,
   Dennis