CLA is broken (was: Re: packages without internet source in fedora)

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 15:49:41 UTC 2008

Hi Seth,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:30:09AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:49 +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> > 2. [...] You hereby grant [...] to recipients of software distributed by the
> > Project:
> >  (a)  a [...] copyright license to [...] prepare derivative works of,
> >       [...], sublicense, and distribute your Contribution and such
> >       derivative works;

> I'm fairly confident that you're absolutely incorrect about what the
> CLA entails.

I never doubted that this was not the _intention_.
And I would wish I were wrong.

> However, rather than add one more non-lawyer-opinion into
> the mix I've asked if we can get a comment from legal about this.

But the contributor is supposed to sign it, supposedly without
getting a legal advice.

Couldn't the text be made more human-readable?

I really hate the system "it does not mean what it seems to mean, you
would never understand it, just sign it here".

Cheers,
	Stepan