pruning the fonts list

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 18:17:26 UTC 2008

> When looking over the LiveCD manifest, and where space is going, I
> can't help but notice that a lot of it goes to fonts. Here's the
> full list, AFAICT. The number to the left is the size of the package.
> I think a good chunk of this could be pruned.

> 1) Fonts not used by any fontconfig app. I don't think we
> ship any apps that aren't fontconfig users on the livecd (and
> if we do, we shouldn't...)
>
> 7140551	xorg-x11-fonts-misc
> 3417965	xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi
> 1070826	xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi
> 1066029	xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-9-100dpi
> 301748	fonts-KOI8-R-100dpi

The 'fixed' and 'cursor' fonts have to come from somewhere, or the X
server won't start.  I believe there's still a bug where they won't show
up when the built-in font list is used, which means you have to keep
-misc.

Of course, we could split out xorg-x11-fonts-mandatory from -misc.  I'll
take a look at this.

- ajax