asm/user.h gone AWOL?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Apr 22 10:06:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 14:47 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to rebuild mono-debugger but it's failing due
> to /usr/include/asm/user.h being missing. I have both the kernel-headers
> and glibc-devel packages installed (looking around, it appears the file
> belongs in one of these two packages), but nothing.
>
> Any ideas where it lives now?

It doesn't:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/kernel-headers.git;a=commitdiff;h=a9128be8657fa436a2e4379b63853964bb56daf3
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=c1445db9f72db0537c43a2eab6e1b0f6741162f5

What do you need it for? Are you trying to interpret A.OUT core dumps?

Having said that, I'm not sure we _should_ have removed it from the
upstream kernel. Although Fedora no longer builds a.out support,
upstream still supports a.out -- and so should probably continue to
provide <asm/user.h> -- doesn't this define the Linux-specific header on
our a.out core dumps?

Jan, how does gdb cope with a.out core dumps? (or doesn't it?)

--
dwmw2