Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2008-04-21

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 16:02:46 UTC 2008

Recap and full IRC transcript found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2008-apr-21

Please make corrections and clarifications to the wiki page.

== Preview Release ==
  * PR was made available via torrents on Friday
  * Attempting to sync release trees to master mirrors so that we can
offer direct (and jigdo) downloads
     * upload is mostly done--waiting for snapmirror to sync up the
various RH netapps
     * after sync is complete will flip a bit and let the mirrors get it

== CVS Branching ==
  * 36+ hours of outage for branching
  * cannot do this again--must to figure out a way to do this without an
outage
  * the second batch of cvs branches is about 50% of the way through
which started 11~ hours ago
  * part of the delay is the pkgdb updates--a different SCM wouldn't
necessarily fix the problem

== Release Candidate ==
  1. They're real RCs, as in "we think we fixed all we're going to take,
so now we're going to do the composes that, if they turn out right, are
what we ship"
    * not "hey that RC passed, now go compose the final"
  1. RC will not be a public release
    * lead time to get bits moved around just takes too long for it to
be really worth it
  1. Everyone can do composes leading up to RC for testing various fixes
  1. Using pungi people outside of Red Hat can create their own RC using
rawhide

== Tagging SOP ==
  * need writeup on Release Engineering process and steps to tag
packages at freeze
  * add something to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/SOP/FreezingRawhide

== IRC Transcript ==