Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Apr 23 17:33:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:30:31AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
> (as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
> non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
> assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
> broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
> so I propose that we just do it.
>
> Anyone opposed to such an action?

As many people already noted there are some reasons to hide them away
from "normal" users. Effectively you suggest setting sbindir to
bindir, e.g. why have /sbin, /usr/sbin at all if all PATHs point to
both sbin/bin so that there is no split?

So the argument is not about PATH, but about having the split in the
first place.

If a command is considered often called by users why not put a symlink
to bindir instead?

$ ls /sbin| wc -l;ls /usr/sbin| wc -l
312
486

I don't think that a handful of nice-to-have-for-power-users commands
in PATH should really pollute the user's PATH with 800 more
commands. Although I wouldn't consider "ifconfig, fdisk, parted" tools
that inexperienced users should have at their fingertips. And the
experienced users know how to add /usr/sbin:/sbin permanently to their
login.

In a nutshell: Keep things as are, but if there really is a command
that is used by "normal" users move that out of sbin or make a symlink
(commands that used to live in sbin and moved out are for example
ping and traceroute)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net