Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 19:43:18 UTC 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:30 AM, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
> (as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there
> for
> non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
> assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
> broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can
> see),
> so I propose that we just do it.
>
> Anyone opposed to such an action?

I would rather see any of the following:

- Complete elimination of sbin vs. bin dirs.  Just put everything in
bin.  This is probably a bad idea anyway, since it really shows bad
form.  And who knows, we might have more than 32768 dentry's in bin
some day, and that would be bad for ext3.
- Picking the commands that make sense for non-root users and moving
them from sbin to bin (ifconfig and route, for instance).  Isn't that
why mount(8) lives in /bin anyway?

I think modifying the default PATH is a short term solution, but I'd
rather see packaging policy changed and packages for F-10 changed to
move commands in to bin that should belong there.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI