Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:56:58 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> There are 3 ways to handle this issue:
>
>   1) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin not in users' path.  This is
> the current setting.
>
>   2) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin in users' path.  This is what
> you propose.
>
>   3) Symlink all of a) into /bin (or symlink), but keep b) in /sbin and
> keep /sbin out of users' path.

While I'm all for #2, if #3 is what happens, please make your symlinks
the other way around.

/bin/ifconfig
ln -s /bin/ifconfig /sbin/ifconfig

The move is acknowledging that the binary is useful for end users and
therefore belongs in their path (and thus rightfully belongs in /bin).
The symlink is backwards compatibility for scripts and people who are
used to typing sudo /sbin/ifconfig.

-Toshio