Patch metadata (Was: Plan for tomorrows (20080424) FESCO meeting)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Apr 23 23:21:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

>  CW> Hi, I'd like to propose:
>  CW> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/PatchUpstreamStatus
>
>  Actually I'd like to expand on this a bit.  Specifically, I was
>  thinking about defining some simple metadata that could be added to
>  patches in the distro and then made available for query, perhaps by
>  PackageDB.  Nothing complex, just some header-style comments at the
>  beginning of the patch file:

What's the ultimate problem you want to solve with that metadata?

The problem I'm trying to solve is when people collaboratively
maintain a package, you want to know when e.g. updating to a new
upstream version what the upstream status of patches are so you know
whether to expect to see them in the new tarball.
The secondary goal is to encourage more people to file patches
upstream.  There are far too many Fedora packages with non-upstreamed
patches, apparently out of laziness.

I'm worried that if we require extensive/structured metadata, people
won't do it.