Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Apr 24 00:21:55 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The tools in /sbin are divided into two categories:
>
>   a) Those that are useful for non-root users, mostly in a
> query/reporting capacity.  Like ifconfig, lsmod, and fdisk (for -l),
> lspci, lsusb, ...
>
>   b) Those that are not useful without root privileges.   Like modprobe,
> rmmod, insmod, fsck, swapoff, ...
>

> There are 3 ways to handle this issue:
>
>   1) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin not in users' path.  This is
> the current setting.
>
>   2) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin in users' path.  This is what
> you propose.
>
>   3) Symlink all of a) into /bin (or symlink), but keep b) in /sbin and
> keep /sbin out of users' path.
>

> In an ideal world, we would have 3.  But it's a lot of packaging work.
> Failing that, there's near consensus that 2) is better than 1) as the
> set of commands in group a) seems to be larger than b).

I'm afraid I fail to see the near-consensus anywhere in this thread.

Firstly, I'll happily accept 3), given we can come up with a sane policy
to choose what goes into /bin.

Secondly, 3) really shouldn't be that hard to accomplish once the policy
is agreed upon. The packages will most likely be touched during F10
development anyways and adding a symlink is not all that hard.

Thirdly, if 3) cannot be accomplished, I *much* rather stick with 1).

/Thomas