Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:57:15 UTC 2008

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> said:
>>>   3) Symlink all of a) into /bin (or symlink), but keep b) in /sbin and
>>> keep /sbin out of users' path.
>>>
>>> In an ideal world, we would have 3.  But it's a lot of packaging work.
>>
>> How much, really?  There are maybe a couple of dozen commands in /sbin
>> and /usr/sbin that are useful to non-root users, and many of them come
>> from the same package.  Many of them probably don't even need symlinks
>> (who cares that lspci has moved for example).
>>
>> Now, I always just have PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin in the system profile
>> on my systems (so I certainly don't object to doing that by default),
>> but it would be better to do this the "right" way.  The packaging
>> guidelines going forward could then have something like:
>>
>> - /sbin: for administration tools only useful for root and needed to
>>   boot the system
>>
>> - /usr/sbin: for other administration tools only useful for root
>>

> +1 but I'd rather we did this the symlink way so we can identlfy a
> command as an sbin command we have given regular users access to. In
> most cases this will mean that the command may be run by a regular user,
> but limited in functionality. (ifconfig won't set an IP address, only
> show it, etc.)

Please, no.  This is not a standard.  Don't create it now.

yum, rpm, packagekit, yumex, apt-get, smart, mount, chown and all sorts
of other whatsit fall in this category.  If you get nit-picky, kill,
chmod, cat, etc also have "limited functionality" for a normal user as
they only allow the normal user to operate on things for which they have
permissions/are the owner/ etc.  The tools allow the superuser to
operate on the resource even if it doesn't belong to them or the
permissions explicitly disallow it.

-Toshio