Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Apr 24 00:57:52 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal users
>> (as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there for
>> non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
>> assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
>> broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can see),
>> so I propose that we just do it.
>>
>> Anyone opposed to such an action?
>>

> Not at all,
>
> +1000000
>
> I've been consistenly changing /etc/profile todo exactly this since the
> day I started using RH 4.0
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Isn't that more or less the same reason most windows users login as
administrator - The convenience?

Note: I know the security risk in the two examples are not in the same
ball-park, so there's no need to lecture me on that.

I'm merely speaking of convenience and how it sometimes makes it feel
right to do the wrong thing.

/Thomas