What the status of the unwritten rule "install all device drivers by default"

Hi all!

In the past we IIRC had unwritten rules like "disk space is cheap thus install all device drivers by default" and "enable all device drivers by default in the configs if that doesn't do any harm, as that way devices will 'just work' without any manual configuration by the user".

Do we still follow those unwritten rules? I just installed a HP printer/scanner on a system with a fresh Fedora 9 preview install and had to manually install the libsane-hpaio package to make the scanner work. Is that intended behavior or would we consider this a bug?

Cu
knurd