OpenOffice.org license change LGPLv2 -> LGPLv3

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 09:33:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:15 +0200, pingou wrote:
> Caolan McNamara wrote:
> > As of OpenOffice.org 3.0.0 (i.e. F-10) the core OOo-written part
> > OpenOffice.org code moves from LGPL2 to LGPL3
> Talking about it,
>

> Will it be included in F9 ?
No.

3.0 is not released yet, I'm just giving a heads up for F-10

It changes the layout of OOo in a rather complicated split into "brand"
layers, "basis" and "ure" layers
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ODF_Toolkit/Efforts/Three-Layer_OOo
which is something of a currently risky pain in the ass from a migration
from OOo 2.X to OOo 3.0. And 3.0 heavily uses extensions in the core
product which is another area which I'm sort of twitchy about given the
raft of historical problems with extensions.

(Ideally) 3.0 require a handful of new system components not currently
in F-9 (some languishing in review somewhere-or-other)

And even post-OOo-release it doesn't make any sense to me to shove a
fresh new major version of a critical app into a stable product. Though
if there is a 2.4.1 (which is likely) I'll probably schedule in a update
during F-8 from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 and bundle the additional fixes that'll
undoubtedly be found after F-9 release.

C.