Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:15:23 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

>>  All of them when something doesn't work and they call their sysadmin friend
>> that has known how to check the ip address on unix-like systems for decades.
>> You aren't doing anyone a favor by making that difficult.
>>

> Fair enough, there are obviously good arguments either way.

Odd, then, that no one has presented an actual argument showing
something that would break with /sbin and /user/sbin at the end of the
default PATH.  Or a simple, intuitive solution to becoming root with
root's path without changing your working directory in the case where
the paths are different.

> A power user can figure it out and the rest I'd rather
> not have screwing around in a terminal, even if the worst they can do
> is just screw up their /home/1user because ultimately someone will
> have to go down their because 1user called his sysadmin buddy and
> memorized a few commands and subsequently really screwed the pooch
> because they thought "Now i'm an expert too!!"

If you think people can't learn to use the command line you should just
walk away from unix-like systems now.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com