Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Apr 24 23:56:12 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>

>> Someone clever once came up with the great KISS concept.
>>
>> Applied to this particular problem, we should try to make things
>> simple (as in easy) for all users and admins while keeping the system
>> simple (as in complexity).
>>
>> That solution has already been subscribed in the thread over and over,
>> symlink the tools that make sense from */sbin/ to */bin/ and be done
>> with it. It will solve all issues in both camps and we can carry on.
>
> If you don't take them all, how does this solve the problem that 'su'
> vs. 'su -' will still not have all the same things included in your
> path?   Personally, I'd rather see everything moved to /bin and /usr/bin
> with /sbin and /user/sbin changed to compatibility symlinks, but that
> can only be done cleanly during a new install (or maybe wrapped in a
> reboot).

If we want to alter the filesystem scheme in this way, my vote is for
suggesting this in the proper place to make it an accepted FHS layout.
Only after that is in place, should we consider it.

If indeed it comes down to a */sbin/ .> */bin/ merger or appending the
the */sbin/'s to the normal users PATH, please make sure it's the PATH
solution. That way, people who disagree can easily change this default,
by doing the exact opposite of what the "pro-sbin-in-path" people are
doing today.

 From how I understand the PATH proposition, however, we would add the
*/sbin/'s as last entries in PATH, correct? If that is the case, su and
su - will still be two different beasts, since su - has the */sbin/'s
before the */bin/'s.

This could potentially make differences between running the same command
under su and su - two completely different things, which would suck even
more than a command not found error IMHO.

/Thomas