New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:20:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm planning on updating vegastrike to the new 0.5.0 upstream release for F-10
> and maybe later F-9 / F-8 too, but vegastrike has been dead for a while and now
> makes some huge changes, so better to keep the old trusted version for F-8 /
> F-9 for a while.
>
> However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?

FWIW, I run a local mirror of Everything on a not-so-great link, and I
would still say to package this.  I'd rather be forced to pull it down
than not have it at all.

On the deltarpm side of things, I do want to point out that compressed
files don't delta well *at all*.  The problem is that a small change in
a file will lead to large changes in the compressed file.  This is
biggest single reason I've seen that deltarpms won't be created for a
certain package in the presto test repository.

Again though, I say let's package it.

Jonathan