Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

James Antill james at fedoraproject.com
Fri Apr 25 17:15:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 12:40 -0400, max bianco wrote:

> You are working very hard to intentionally misunderstand where I am
> coming from, easy is not always better. I understand your arguments
> and they are sound. Fine and good , I am merely voicing my concerns.

 You seem to be working hard to bring up "possible" problems with zero
evidence that they will be actual problems. While ignoring:

1. The current state is causing _actual_ problems for a lot of people.

2. A huge number of experienced people hack all their systems in this
way already, due to the pain of the current system, so the current state
is getting little to no testing.

> Will you address this concern?or continue to ignore it? What about the
> user who hoses his system with fdisk by accident? Will he love Fedora
> for it?

 Unix, esp. on the cmd line as had a long history of not second guessing
the user ... you want to break your system with fdisk, and you have the
privileges ... then fine, you broke it.

 A couple of questions for you:

. How can a non-root user break his system with fdisk?

. If a user gains root privileges, why do you think the "right" thing to
do is keep him unaware of programs he can run?

. Are you planning on making "rm -rf *" (or varients thereof) not break
a non-root users system?

. Do you have _any_ kind of data on how many ways a user can break their
system if they become root and run commands just in */bin ?

. Do you have _any_ stats. on how inexperienced users gain root
privileges on the cmd line?
 My guess would be that they probably do it the "less efficient" / "more
annoying" ways and so already have */sbin in their path.

...and everyone _please_ stop painting this bike shed unless you have an
_actual_problem_ that you know would happen?

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>
Fedora