Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:01:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com> wrote:

>  On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 12:40 -0400, max bianco wrote:
>
>  > You are working very hard to intentionally misunderstand where I am
>  > coming from, easy is not always better. I understand your arguments
>  > and they are sound. Fine and good , I am merely voicing my concerns.
>
>   You seem to be working hard to bring up "possible" problems with zero
>  evidence that they will be actual problems. While ignoring:
>
>  1. The current state is causing _actual_ problems for a lot of people.
>
>  2. A huge number of experienced people hack all their systems in this
>  way already, due to the pain of the current system, so the current state
>  is getting little to no testing.
>

>  > Will you address this concern?or continue to ignore it? What about the
>  > user who hoses his system with fdisk by accident? Will he love Fedora
>  > for it?
>
>   Unix, esp. on the cmd line as had a long history of not second guessing
>  the user ... you want to break your system with fdisk, and you have the
>  privileges ... then fine, you broke it.
>
>   A couple of questions for you:
>
>  . How can a non-root user break his system with fdisk?

The point is this, what use is having fdisk in your path if you can't
use it for what it is intended.

>  . If a user gains root privileges, why do you think the "right" thing to
>  do is keep him unaware of programs he can run?

There isn't one but maybe you could tell me how you locate a command
you can't find on any linux/unix box?

>  . Are you planning on making "rm -rf *" (or varients thereof) not break
>  a non-root users system?

No again you are thinking you are the only user. Linux/unix was
designed as a multiuser system. Windows was designed as a single user
system, hence all the problems that it  has. The keyword here is
multi-user!

Max