Orphaning package

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Apr 27 09:28:08 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:49:51AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> Can you email the issues you're having to
>> fedora-extras-steering at redhat.com please?  Perhaps we can look them over
>> and find an amicable way to solve them for everyone involved.
>
> Looking at te bug reports Alain posted in another mail, there seems to
> be 2 issues. One is that he has proposed patches for packaging issues
> for years without being heard. The second is, in my opinion, a less
> problematic issue of a bug being closed to rapidly.
>
> The first one is, in my opinion, a contributor killer issue and I have
> been reporting it more than once. It is not acceptable to have packagers
> not handling rapidly bugs where submitter proposes patches, or volunteer
> to take care of the issue. FESCo should really come up with a guideline
> or a solution for such issues, which is not a case-by-case decision.
> It is especially frustrating when a contributor has done some work and
> still the package maintainer doesn't seems to care at all about it.

+1

I'm so fed up with this (people not responding to trivial to fix bugs / bugs
with patches attached) that I _regulary_ put a comment like this in bugzilla:

Can you please fix this, this blocks X other bugs. I'm sorry todo this, but
consider this your first ping in the light of the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/NonResponsiveMaintainers

Which sometimes gets people attention and sometimes not. I guess the
NonResponsiveMaintainers policy is already an answer to this, which is why I
use it, but I wonder if it is _the_ answer.

Regards,

Hans