iwl3945 driver channel capability

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 12:23:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 01:02:22PM +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:

> >   So your card is crippled to 11 channels (like mine) on hardware level.
> >  This is very probably not modifiable in any way.
>
> Thanks for your reply, not what I wanted to hear but it's better to
> have the knowledge than to be in the dark :)

This is presumably only true if you acquired your hardware in the USA.

What James told you is true but incomplete.  Some hardware (including
the iwl3945 and iwl4965) will refuse to tune to channels that are
not on the "approved" list according to their firmware.  However,
this is not the only possible restriction.

The mac80211 component will restrict the tunable channels as well,
according to it's configured regulatory region.  The default region
is 'US', corresponding to the regulations specified by the FCC.
Currently there is one other region defined, 'JP', corresponding to
the regulations specified by the MKK in Japan.  There currently is
not a region specified for Europe, although there is some discussion
about including one.  In the long run we will likely support a more
flexible regulatory enforcement scheme, allowing for a wide variety
of localized regulations.

Anyway, if you want access to more channels you might try adding a
line like this to /etc/modprobe.conf:

	options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom='JP'

That should enable channels 1 through 14 -- be sure only to use
channels approved in your area.

Hth!

John
--