is xorg.conf still needed

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 13:53:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 21:31 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  This is a very strong goal for Fedora 10, at least for me.  There are a
> >  couple of outstanding things that are going to have to be taken care of:
> >  *) Getting the X keyboard layout set based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
> >  *) Need to be able to pass arbitrary options for input devices (eg, all
> >  the stuff needed for wacom config)
> >  *) Profit :-)
>
> Please don't forget us folks who run Fedora on rack-mounted servers in
> the back room.  I've got a single monitor, mouse, and keyboard shared
> via a KVM switch between several machines.  The odds are high that
> those I/O devices cannot be queried for their properties at X startup
> time because the KVM switch is set to some other machine.

That's fine.

The way input works now is you _always_ have a virtual core pointer and
core keyboard.  As we receive device presence events from hal, we load
drivers for each, and attach their event streams to the core devices.
So configuration happens at plug time, not server startup time.

There's a detail here for outputs, which is that we don't always do
sensible things if we try to start X with no monitor attached, and for
some KVMs it's tough to tell the difference between not attached and
merely not active.  That's just a bug though.

- ajax