preupgrade - upgrade error

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 21:57:45 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 05:09 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
>> After completing the download of the needed packages and other things, I clicked
>> on reboot. Grub showed me the upgrade to rawhide option. after selecting it, the
>> kernel booted and then the following error came up:
>> "An error occured reading the install from the ISO images. please check your ISO
>> images and try again."
>>
>> the F3 console shows(after some INFO lines):
>> "04:36:38 ERROR  : failed to open /mnt/isodirbootupgradestage2.img: No such file
>> or directory"
>>
>> the F5 console shows "Running... /bin/mount -n -t ext3 -o ro /dev/sda3
>> /mnt/isodir" and that is all.
>>
>> what is going on? where should I look?
>>
>> An upgrade directory was created in /boot and it has the initrd.img, the
>> stage2.img and the zmlinuz.
>> Any where else I should check?
>
> what version of preupgrade is this? 0.9.2?
>
> -sv

I used preupgrade-0.9.2-1.fc8.noarch from F8-updates.

Michal Schmidt sent this:
"Looks like you're hit by https://fedorahosted.org/preupgrade/ticket/19

You can workaround it by adding the missing slashes manually in
grub.conf."

and my grub.conf stanza looked like this:
"title Upgrade to Rawhide
        kernel /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade lang=en_US.UTF-8 keymap=us
stage2=hd:sda3:bootupgradestage2.img
method=http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/development/i386/os
        initrd /boot/upgrade/initrd.img
"

I edited the stage2= to include the slashes /boot/upgrade/stage2.img and that
worked!

the rest of the upgrade worked fine!
thanks for all the work you do.
Richard