Multilib Middle-Ground

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Apr 30 23:28:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>  >  The right way to approach this I think is to target specific third
>  >  party applications which we want to work out of the box.  Say for
>  >  example, Flash and VMWare Workstation.  Surely there are others, but I
>  >  think we can arrive at a reasonably sane set.  We then add these
>  >  packages to the default install image.
>
>  Would you include the following in your "sane" set?

I don't know - what deps do they need?

The top of the list though is the deps such that Adobe Flash works out
of the box.  On i386 this would ensure we pull in libflashsupport.  On
x86_64 we'd also need to pull in 32 bit libpulseaudio and some other
things, I believe?

Regardless, the point is that we need to actually make choices about
what's included in the desktop install, figuring out the tradeoffs,
rather than punting it to users with incomprehensible questions.