Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell wrote:
Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
 The right way to approach this I think is to target specific third
 party applications which we want to work out of the box.  Say for
 example, Flash and VMWare Workstation.  Surely there are others, but I
 think we can arrive at a reasonably sane set.  We then add these
 packages to the default install image.

Would you include the following in your "sane" set?

IDL
MatLab
LabView
Mathematica
SAS/IML and SAS/STAT
nag.com library products
any number of proprietary fortran and C compilers

Throw in Sun's 32 bit jvm's too.

Would it be possible to grow rpm meta-packages of 32-bit lib dependencies for common applications as they become known with some consistent name convention so something like
yum install vmware_32bit_libs
would fix things instead of having to know each needed file and which package provides it?

I don't see how this would be easier to maintain that the whitelist solution. I think it would actually be a lot harder in the long run.

/Thomas