No response for bug reports

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 2 15:48:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 07:46:52 +0200,
  Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk> wrote:

> > It's not that I would not understand that there are other problems
> > that are more important or more serious, but how can I know if I'm
> > read by the assignee? Should I be more patient? Is there a leak?
>
> Just be patient. :) It will be handled eventually.

Why would you think that? I have had bugs open for very long times (several
years) without being resolved. (Though in the worst case, the developers
may not have access to the hardware that is having an issue.)

My recent frustration is with two Sabayon issues and the assignee hasn't
even confirmed they can (or can't) replicate the problem after a couple
of weeks.

Fedora's bug handling is not its strength.

Fedora is open source, so you might look to see if you can do more to try
to solve the problem. Depending on your background, time constraints and
how important the problem is to you, you might be able to make or get a fix
for it. A good idea is to search to see if other people had the problem
and what they did about it. There may already be a fix or work around that
hasn't made it back into Fedora. You can also look through the code. You don't
necessary need to be a great programmer or even fluent in the language the
code is written in to spot some errors. For example I have a problem with
the current X driver for ATIs and the issue is very low priority for the
developers because it involves old hardware (an LCD monitor that doesn't do
EDID). I don't understand the code well enough to write a proper fix, but I
was able to figure out a hack that will work for me.