RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:17:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 18:23 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
> scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead of the past by
> mistake as I still failed to disable the scrolling in F-9 (Bug 446818).
>
> While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
> reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.

-100 for that. I heavily use this feature and I am very irritated when I
cannot (e.g. when I need to use windows). And I have just ordinary 2
button mouse with scroll-wheel.

As for the thread point... In the context of linux desktops the current
behaviour makes more sense, the autoScroll feature can be enabled via
configuration dialogs. But I find scrolling using touch-pad far more
convenient than either this or mouse's scroll-wheel. I don't care what
has firefox set in Windows or in Ubuntu. We are in Fedora and we want
(or don't we?) consistency throughout the applications we have - not
with other platforms. There are reasons why Firefox has e.g. different
menu layout in linux than in windows or mac, as well as for the current
setting of autoScroll.

> Regards,
> Jan

Martin