RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 22:36:22 UTC 2008

2008/8/2 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:02 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> i feel like a software
>> application that is made for multiple osses should work the __same__
>> on all those osses.
>
> This is where you're likely going to disagree with a lot of people.
> Software that happens to release for other operating systems should try
> to integrate with those operating systems as best as possible, and
> that's something that Firefox is finally trying to do.  It should look
> and feel like a native app, not some foreign monstrosity that clashes
> badly with the rest of the system.
>
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Your right about all.
As for the look and feel, i'm gonna make programs in c++ soon and am
planning on making those in a way that they are integrated in Windows,
Linux Mac and everything else that QT or GTK (perhaps wxWidgets)
support but i personally don't think i'm gonna change actions for a
specific distro. For example this middle click stuff. with my programs
it will work the same in windows as it will in linux and mac. Might be
wrong because linux might have a different idea of there middle click
but that not my problem. i want it to work the same everywhere.
Oke, i will apply as much standards as possible but if i feel like
something is just wrong and think my way is better.. then my way it
is.
And my apps are gonna be made in and for linux. If they work on other
osses that's fine but not my main goal.

In the case of firefox i just find it confusing that something works
differently then what i'm used to.. i wish firefox had a setting: "let
(key and mouse) actions act like SomeOS".

And for the arguments. I don't know what happens with you when you
click the wheel on a link but then i want it to open a new tab and go
to that link. Not sure if autoscroll takes care of this but it's
working fine here.

And thanx for the (finally from someone) mature replies (same for Chris).