RFC: best way to fix the regular yum dependency problems with add-on packages from 3rd party repositories

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 07:07:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:57:08 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 02.08.2008 16:34, John Ellson wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> Look closer! It says "[...] (installed)" there -- the scripts that
> >> generates the rawhide report can't know what you have one your
> >> harddisk and thus it can't detect this broken dep.
> > But (1) the rawhide reports do know what is in the rawhide repository
> > that might be installed, and which shouldn't conflict if they are.
>
> I can't follow, sorry. As mentioned already, phonon-backend-gstreamer
> isn't in rawhide anymore. Yes, it once was, but you can't expect the
> script to check all "was once in rawhide" packages, as the script then
> would take ages to complete.

It doesn't take much longer, because for normal pkg updates, it would only
examine the latest pkg release. It should take into account obsolete
binary pkgs from the previous compose, however. Only *that* would help
with detecting incorrect/missing "Obsoletes" tags (which is something my
modified repoclosure handles, because in Extras we've had up to two pkg
releases in the repo). On the contrary, the Rawhide report is like a fresh
install of only the latest pkg releases, and one can only hope that there
are enough testers who find and report the additional update/upgrade
problems.