uids for daemons on a spin

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 4 01:55:45 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-04 12:32:09 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> packaging a custom-configured rsync daemon, I would like to give its
> user a stable UID where possible. Looking at the httpd.spec for
> reference, it has a hardcoded uid of 48 for the httpd user. Is there a
> listing of known uids? A safe range defined for custom packages? Is
> there a policy I should be reading...?
>
> Googling for "uid policy fedora -selinux" (or redhat) does not yield
> anything particularly interesting.
Searching around on the wiki, I found the following pages:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UsersAndGroups
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UserCreation
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry

I'm not sure how up-to-date they are, but hopefully, they provide some
useful information.

Thanks,
Ricky