uids for daemons on a spin

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:32:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:52:29 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > No word from you on whether you configured it for static gid/uid
>> > allocation.
>>
>> Static? No mention of that in the wikipage so I don't know...
>
> Everything's there:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UserCreation#Documentation

I've read it -- I guess you mean whether I did

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set fedora-usermgmt
/etc/fedora/usermgmt/scripts.shadow-utils

and the answer is no, I didn't.

Hmmmm. Ok, if I re-read that page and translate the phrase

   "Administrators who want static uid/gid allocations..."

into

  "this defaults to a no-op - to make it _do_ something..."

then maybe it starts expressing things a bit better :-/

> Even links to postings which answer you other questions:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UserCreation#Background

Ugh, this isn't pretty. From one of the emails:

> fedora-usermgmt in it's unconfigured state was the same as useradd.

perhaps that line, in wrapped in <blink> tags should be in the wiki?

Perhaps I misunderstood the goal of the tool - but I see there's
plenty of flamewars about this. Shame that the controversy has shaped
this into its current state of "actually, it doesn't work" out of the
box.

In any case, Real Men just hardcode the uid and so what if there's a
conflict or the local admin has an opinion - ;-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions