ANNOUNCE: rpmgrok - a web-based tool for tracking a full distribution of RPMs

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 21:26:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:42 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 03:35:45PM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> > I've been working on a new web-based tool for analyzing Fedora: rpmgrok
> >
> > It digests built RPMs, analysing the metadata and payload, and stores
> > the results in a database.  There's a web UI for viewing the data, an
> > XML-RPC interface for querying it, and a command-line tool for using the
> > XML-RPC interface.
> >
> > I've got a prototype running on:
> > http://publictest7.fedoraproject.org/rpmgrok
> >
> > More info (e.g. source code) can be seen at
> > https://fedorahosted.org/rpmgrok
> >
> > The idea is to provide a new way for Fedora developers, testers, and
> > other enthusiasts to track various things across the entire
> > distribution, without having to have a full tree installed.  It's
> > probably usable by other Linux distributions.
>
> I like the part with the "Errors and warnings from rpmlint". I can
> imagine that someone that's say an expert on "invalid-desktopfile"
> issues could now dig into this much easier. Very nice!
Yes, this is:
http://publictest7.fedoraproject.org/rpmgrok/rpmlint/invalid-desktopfile

Unfortunately the db doesn't capture the errors from
desktop-file-validate itself.  I wonder if there's a way to do this.
IIRC rpmlint doesn't emit this output anywhere.

(fwiw all these tests were done with desktop-file-utils-0.10-7)

[snip]