ANNOUNCE: rpmgrok - a web-based tool for tracking a full distribution of RPMs

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 15:46:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 11:14 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> David Malcolm wrote, at 08/07/2008 06:26 AM +9:00:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:42 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >> I like the part with the "Errors and warnings from rpmlint". I can
> >> imagine that someone that's say an expert on "invalid-desktopfile"
> >> issues could now dig into this much easier. Very nice!
> > Yes, this is:
> > http://publictest7.fedoraproject.org/rpmgrok/rpmlint/invalid-desktopfile
> >
> > Unfortunately the db doesn't capture the errors from
> > desktop-file-validate itself.  I wonder if there's a way to do this.
> > IIRC rpmlint doesn't emit this output anywhere.
> >
> > (fwiw all these tests were done with desktop-file-utils-0.10-7)
>
> Unfortunately I guess your list contains not a few false-positive errors.
>
> For example, I checked fedora-alexandria.desktop with desktop-file-utils-0.10-7
> (this is Fedora core 6 desktop-file-utils) and actually I get the error:
> $ ./desktop-file-validate /usr/share/applications/fedora-alexandria.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/fedora-alexandria.desktop: error: required key "Encoding" not found
>
> However the key "Encoding" is now deprecated and with Fedora 10 desktop-file-utils
> (0.15-3.fc10) including Encoding key is warned like:
> $ desktop-file-validate ./fedora-alexandria.desktop
> ./fedora-alexandria.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop Entry" is deprecated
Good point.  The change of "Encoding" from being a required key to an
optional key whose presence generates a warning suggests that all of the
results in the db for this specific test (desktop-file-validate as
reported by rpmlint) are meaningless.  I've filed this as
https://fedorahosted.org/rpmgrok/ticket/18

Hopefully at least some of the other rpmlint tests recorded in the db
are still useful though.

Thanks
Dave