major boost breakage

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 12:17:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:03 +0200, Petr Machata wrote:

> Ok, I can see I've screwed on several levels here (underestimating how
> many packages depend on boost, not realizing how far into release
> cycle Fedora is).  So I can have boost un-tagged by releng right away,
> and break the next rawhide to come.

Unfortunately FESCo passed a policy that doesn't allow one to untag
builds that have gone out to rawhide.  You can ask FESCo for an email
vote to override this rule for this case, otherwise you'd have to do a
build of the older boost with an epoch so that upgrade path continues.

> Still, while I see some big packages (abiword, inkscape), I suspect
> that most incompatibilities can be fixed simply (i.e. mostly sed-style
> fixes), and I can help people with fixing their build failures
> (attaching Miro patch right away).

When bumping something like boost, it is wise to do a local build, then
use it in a mock chroot to try rebuilding all the things that require
it.  Anything that fails you should file bugs and attach patches to fix
the issue.  Then a coordinated effort can happen to get boost and all
it's dependents rebuilt in one fell swoop.  This is where open package
ACLs would help.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!