Best way to add a line to a config file from another package?

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 01:26:00 UTC 2008

Well, changing the default configuration file is not necessarily
something that dvips developers need to hear about. The original
config.ps file has section saying:
% This shows how to add your own map file.
% Remove the comment and adjust the name:
% p +myfonts.map

On the other hand, this extra psfonts_t42.map configuration file I'm
adding is in a way a workaround for the current behavior of updmap,
which puts ".ttf" entries in both psfonts_t1.map and psfonts_pk.map,
even though that practically means dvips will use bitmaps for ttfs
regardless whether you enabled dvipsPreferOutline, which defaults to
on. I'm not the first person to be annoyed by this. There's been a
long thread on tex.fonts about this a couple of year back
[http://osdir.com/ml/tex.fonts/2006-08/msg00017.html], but nobody
changed anything...

However, if one were to change updmap to add ".t42" entries instead of
".ttf" to psfonts_t1.map instead of my solution of using an additional
map, then one needs to make sure that the TeX distro ships t42
counterparts for all ttf fonts it ships because there is no fallback
for dvips anymore if dvipsPreferOutline is enabled. And there are some
ttf fonts shipped with TeXLive, but obviously no t42 versions.

A more elegant solution would be for dvips itself to encapsulate TTF
fonts in Type 42 as needed, but I don't know how easy is that to hack,
especially since dvips has no notion of dvipsPreferOutline; the
desired behavior is obtained by updmap symlinking psfonts.map to
either psfonts_t1.map or psfonts_pk.map. The teTeX fokes, which
intially wrote updmap, seem to have preferred this hack instead of
changing dvips...

It's not clear if dvips is even supported/maitained anymore by Radical
Eye. Their web page [http://www.radicaleye.com/dvips.html] says "To
get the latest version of dvips, simply get the latest version of
teTeX or some other TeX distribution that includes dvips. [...] I no
longer support installation of dvips independent of full installation
of a TeX distribution." So, presumably we'd have to send the patch to
TeXLive. Adding an additional map seemed a lot simpler than dealing
with this mess...