Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Wed Aug 13 18:00:57 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 11:13:02 Chris Adams wrote:
> I don't think it is valid to have more than one syslog type daemon
> running at once, is it?

It's not valid, but I don't think the service scripts should break if someone
accidentally does it.

I think your suggestion of symlinking the common name so the logrotate script
rotates the active one but the service script still uses a package-specific
pid file is great.  We could probably take that one step farther and write
some common service handler scripts to re-link the syslogd.pid file to the
proper daemon so accidents with starting multiple daemons and then shutting
down one doesn't remove the symlink completely.

Thanks for the great idea; I'll see if I can work with the other two packagers
to get this going.

-Doug