disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:25:23 UTC 2008

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry this might be a bit off topic. I am getting a new laptop, and
> plan to use fedora as my main OS. I will be installing Windows too for
> the occasional game. I would also like to install open-solaris and/or
> MacOSX, just to see what others are up to. Eventually I will also want
> to run multiple VMs. It would be necessary to share data across those
> OSs and VMs. I am lost as to how to partition/lvm the 250GB drive for
> optimal use. Does anyone have a similar setup? any advice ?
I would partition it as follows:

5x 20GB partitions for Operating Systems
1.) Fedora (to be sub-partitioned into swap, boot, etc.
2.) OSX
3.) OpenSolaris
4.) Windows
5.) others?

Then a 100GB Data partition to be shared across all OSes.
The last 50GB, I would use for compressed VM images.
I'd do it in that order as well... simply because, on the chance you
decide to forgo/delete the OSX and/or OpenSolaris partitions... you can
easily extend the fedora partition into that space without having to
repartition. The 100GB data partition gives more than enough space in
which to share all needed data between Operating Systems and I'd suggest
using Fat32 simply because it's recognizable/mountable/readable on all
the above mentioned OSes. You can easily forgo the 50GB VM image
partition and go with a 150GB combined data/VM image partition.