disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 10:26:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:16:36AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:09:29PM +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > I.e., is the plan to make KVM not suck on machines that do not have
> > Vanderpool/Pacifica, or are those simply out of luck with xen gone?
>
> KVM doesn't work at all unless you have these extensions.  However you
> can still happen to run the /usr/bin/qemu-kvm on these machines - it's
> just that it falls back to using QEMU (ie. pure software)
> virtualization.
>
> All new Intel & AMD processors support this anyway.  The situation is
> similar to 3D accelerated graphics cards circa 1996 -- not everyone's
> got one now, but within a few years even your mobile phone will have
> it.  (Or something like that anyway :-)

It is entirely likely that your mobile phone will indeed have it in
a few years. The new Intel Atom processors (targetted towards embedded
devices) do have the hardware virtualization support, and there is
work from mobile phone vendors in using virtualization on mobile devices.
Samsung, for example, ported Xen to ARM for use on 3g mobile devices[1].

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_4/Secure_Xen_ARM_xen-summit-04_07_Suh.pdf