Do we need feature tracking bugs?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 22:34:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 15:16 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> During the feature process review for Fedora 10 it was suggested that
> each new feature have a separate tracking bug which would then block the
> F10 release blocker.

Yes!

<snip>
> 1) Who will be responsible to make sure that each new bug related to a
> new feature blocks its respective tracker? This would be a natural bug
> triage activity, but we do not have enough people participating in bug
> triage right now to take this on.

Obviously the feature owner.

> 2) Who is going to walk all the individual feature tracker bugs to make
> sure we are ready to release?

That's easily scriptable through the bugzilla XMLRPC.

> 3) What about features that don't have a BZ component--block the distro
> component?

That sounds good.

> I would like to propose that feature tracking bugs be created on an "as
> needed basis" and not for every single feature listed here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList

For some features, it might not make sense to have bugs, because it's
bigger than bugs. Say for "make XX better", it might not make sense to
have a tracker bug because a portion of the work would be to see what's
needed to make XX better in the first place.