disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Ding-Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 07:04:22 UTC 2008

於 二,2008-08-19 於 01:07 -0400,Felix Miata 提到:
> On 2008/08/19 14:17 (GMT+1000) Ding-Yi Chen apparently typed:
>
> > I don't really think you can install 4 or more OSs on a harddrive.
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/libata-gt15partitions.txt shows considerably more are
> possible even using libata. It has 12 installed, plus, not counting the
> extended itself, 7 partitions that have no installed operating systems.

Just as I thought, 3 primary and 1 extended. :-)
Indeed, you can further splits the extended. I should have say that.

> > A harddisk can  have either 4 primary partitions or 3 primarys and 1
> > extended. I suppose the most stable configuration you might get is one
> > primary for each OS,
>
> Stable? What does that mean? Modern operating systems, once booted, make no
> distinction between primaries and non-primaries - all are treated equally as
> logical, as any partition at all is nothing more than an artificial (logical)
> division of a physical device.

Maybe I should say trouble-less/less headache/simple configuration.
You got the point, once booted, but firstly they need to be able to
boot. :-)
As far as I know, FreeBSD cannot install/and boot from in extended p,
nor can OpenSolaris. And I quite doubt OSX86 can.

Yes, modern linux live happily in extended, but unfortunately,
not all modern OS is able to boot from extended.

BTW, do you consider WinXP modern? :-)
Regards,