GNUstep filesystem layout discussion

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 24 14:17:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 03:24:44PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> > > I'm not Axel, but I second this. ;)
> >
> > But please understand that we would then have chosen between
> > libfoundation and gnustep-base, e.g. only one would be allowed in
> > Fedora world. And thus only one subset of application packages would
> > survive.
> >
> > unflattened != multiarch
> > unflattened == choose libcombo at runtime
> > flattened == choose libcombo at buildtime
>
> Hm. We don't support mixing lesstif and openmotif either. Is libfoundation
> incompatible with gnustep-base?

While not an expert on gnustep, I think the differences are not just
different implementations of the same API/ABI, I believe the libs are
supposed to have different APIs. Many applications (all?) require
specific libcombos to be built against.

> Anyway, here's an idea:
> Put binaries in unflattened %{_libdir}/GNUstep/* and symlink to /usr/bin.

Binaries are probably not an issue, IMHO there are just some bugs in
gnustep's implementation of the FHS (like /usr/bin/x86_64 subdirs,
which we must truncate back).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net