libgnutls-openssl and real openssl conflict

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Aug 27 07:41:10 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 18:30 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> Any program that links to libgnutls-openssl that has GPL'ed components
>> probably CANNOT be legally linked to OpenSSL.
>
> For what it is worth, we consider OpenSSL a system library (aka, a
> "major component"), as does the FSF.
>
>>From GPLv2:
>
>   However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
> include
>   anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the
>   major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
>   which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
>   executable.
>
> Thus, we're not concerned about OpenSSL and GPL incompatibility.

Erm what about the "unless that component itself accompanies the
executable." part, when we put openssl and a using app together on a CD does
that not count as "accompanies the executable"? If not that would be great then
I can fix this (for now) by simply using the real openssl in gkrellm.

Regards,

Hans