[Fedora Forum] Micro Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:33:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Luya Tshimbalanga
<luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com> wrote:
> The minimalFedora system weighed in at 67MB. 58MB was in /lib/modules. I could
> easily pare that down to a few MB, remove unused drivers with a little work.
> Another 6.5MB was in /boot and 1.7MB in busybox. Aside from the homemade
> inittab and rcS (init script) it was all from the Fedora distro,".

It's interesting...but if i'm reading the post correctly, he's
basically sacrificed the ability to receive system updates...that has
consequences.   Consequences we as a project might not officially want
to endorse.

Now maybe he and a few other people can support pushing update images
instead of individual packages or something to deal with updates.  But
a solution like that would classified as a derived distribution.  Can
we make room for that sort of community effort under the larger Fedora
Project? The people who want to do this, they may need to provide
their own hosting and image compose iron. We may not be able to put
existing project resources towards it.

On a brighter note, the new trademark guidelines may adequately cover
this sort of thing so they can use our branding without additional
hassle in the same way that the Fedora Unity guys are going to get to
use the trademark for their re-spins under the new trademark
guidelines.   I wonder if the Fedora Unity guys would be interested in
working with him in terms of hosting and composing infrastructure for
the concept.

-jef