Fedora 9 on ASUS EeePC 900

Philip Heron phil at sanslogic.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 23:15:02 UTC 2008

Philip Heron wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Is there anything in your kernel that might improve the stability of the
>>> intel video driver over the stock fedora kernel? I'm getting quite a
>>> lot of
>>> hard lock-ups and random X restarts if I don't disable video
>>> acceleration,
>>> but then playing video is impossible.
>>
>> Have you tried disabling FrameBufferCompression?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it last night but it didn't help.

For anyone else having this problem, I seem to have solved it by
disabling the composite extension. I'm able to play video and games
without any crashing or lock ups now.

I added these lines to my xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
	Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Not ideal, but I've got a usable laptop again.

-Phil