[Fedora Forum] Micro Fedora

Patrice Kadionik kadionik at enseirb.fr
Fri Aug 29 08:19:19 UTC 2008

> Hello,
>
> A Fedora user nicknamed stevea has posted an topic about making micro
> Fedora. It
> will be nice to take a look because he may be a very important
> contributors
> given his skills in embedded.
>
> "
> The minimalFedora system weighed in at 67MB. 58MB was in /lib/modules.
> I could
> easily pare that down to a few MB, remove unused drivers with a little
> work.
> Another 6.5MB was in /boot and 1.7MB in busybox. Aside from the homemade
> inittab and rcS (init script) it was all from the Fedora distro,".

> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=190084

Hi,

I'm not sure that it's the right way for building an embedded Linux.
With your method, you just have the Fedora kernel with all Fedora
patches and a big /lib/modules with a lot of unused modules for your
embedded system.
One prefers to use the fresh vanilla Linux kernel with busybox. The
Linux kernel is then configured exactly for your target. With that, you
have a Linux kernel (about 1MB) with its root FS (about 1-2 MB) adapted
completly to the target platform.

I'm building embedded Linux systems and I'm using Fedora just on the
host system for crosscompiling, debugging...

Cheers;

Pat.

--
Patrice Kadionik. F6KQH / F4CUQ

+"Tout doit etre aussi simple que possible, pas seulement plus simple" +
+ Patrice Kadionik             http://www.enseirb.fr/~kadionik         +
+ IMS Laboratory               http://www.ims-bordeaux.fr/             +
+ ENSEIRB                      http://www.enseirb.fr                   +
+ PO BOX 99                    fax   : +33 5.56.37.20.23               +
+ 33402 TALENCE Cedex          voice : +33 5.56.84.23.47               +
+ FRANCE                       mailto:patrice.kadionik at ims-bordeaux.fr +