RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 11:28:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Mark <markg85 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> As for the look and feel, i'm gonna make programs in c++ soon and am
>> planning on making those in a way that they are integrated in Windows,
>> Linux Mac and everything else that QT or GTK (perhaps wxWidgets)
>> support but i personally don't think i'm gonna change actions for a
>> specific distro. For example this middle click stuff. with my programs
>> it will work the same in windows as it will in linux and mac. Might be
>> wrong because linux might have a different idea of there middle click
>> but that not my problem. i want it to work the same everywhere.
>> Oke, i will apply as much standards as possible but if i feel like
>> something is just wrong and think my way is better.. then my way it
>> is.
>
> You'll quickly notice that Qt will automatically adapt your program to some
> platform conventions. For example, on Mac OS X, the menubar is displayed at the
> top of the screen, not the window, and some menu actions are automatically
> moved to where Mac users expect them. You can try to override all this (and in
> most cases Qt does provide an override to avoid the platform-specific
> behavior), but that's a bad idea, as Qt does all this for a reason. And in fact
> you should adapt to platform conventions even where Qt doesn't do it for you.
>
> As pretty much everyone else in this thread said, applications should integrate
> into the OS, not try to behave absolutely identically on all platforms.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

Your talking about the look of the application now. I don't intent to
let everything look the same how i want it.. that should indeed fit in
the os it's running on. I was only talking about key actions.For
example if i assign CTRL + P to a print method then i expect it to be
assigned to the same method on all osses it runs on. Or when i bind
the mouse scroll wheel to open a new tab it should do so everywhere
and not past some text.

2008/8/3 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 22:47 +0200, Mark wrote:
>> Ehm.. LOL...
>> I can't help it that the default (in this case) is wrong.
>> I atleast don't expect to get something pasted when i press my mousewheel.
>
> Because you clearly haven't been using Linux for the past decade. How
> old are you, 14?
>
> Middle click to load a URL is how Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox has always
> worked on X11 since I began using Netscape 4.0 on Slackware in 1997. I
> presume it goes back even farther but previous to that I was using
> Macintoshes...
>
> You're wrong.

I've been using linux for years now. First years Fedora (since version
5) and now just a year using ubuntu with fedora every once in a while
as well
And i'm way older then 14.. 23

And i will do a little research to see which browsers do what when
clicking the wheel.
For windows it's a.t.m.:
- Firefox :: scroll
- IE :: scroll
- Opera :: scroll
- Safari :: scroll

For linux i will test:
- Firefox :: no scroll (no need to test)
- Opera
- Epiphany
- Konqueror
- and perhaps a few others