uids for daemons on a spin

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 4 10:49:15 UTC 2008

"Martin Langhoff" <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> writes:

> Static? No mention of that in the wikipage so I don't know... I am
> using it in its "default". The default value seems to be 300 for uid
> and gid. Suits me ok - at least for the testing I am doing. And looking
> at the bash -x output (_stop_ reading now and scroll back to my earlier
> email - I flagged the relevant line to make it stand out), it _is_
> reading '300' and adding '3' and then tries to create the user with id
> 303.

Without reading whole thread and participating in yet another flame war
(I reply only because I was in a CC): the 300 baseuid is a bad value but
one of the best what I can use as a default.

When you want to use fedora-usermgmt, pick an empty UID range and
reserve it for system users.  Here, it is the 63000-65000 range but
this will probably vary on your system.  Then, put this number into
/etc/fedora/usermgmt/base[ug]id and activate whole stuff by

  /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set fedora-usermgmt /etc/fedora/usermgmt/scripts.shadow-utils

and install your packages.  I described in some other threads how to do this
stuff in early initializiation phases (kickstart); basically it was the
creation of a new package which provides 'flavor(fedora-usermgmt-setup)'.

Enrico