RFC: best way to fix the regular yum dependency problems with add-on packages from 3rd party repositories

Seth Vidal skvidal at sethdot.org
Mon Aug 4 15:39:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 09:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I suppose a lot of users won't look that close and some GUIs will likely
> hide such a output. So I don't like that idea to much, as it afaik could
> block important updates of certain packages for months or years if the
> user has a local packages (an orphan or a manually installed RPM from
> non-Fedora repos) installed that is the culprit for the dependency problem.
>
> What IMHO might work is a "skip broken" plugin that for example ignores
> broken deps for a certain timeframe (say 48 oder 72 hours after the
> problems was hit for the first time) and boils out after that in case
> the broken dep still isn't fixed.

1. skip-broken is not a plugin, anymore. It is in core yum code, now.
2. doing it via date is very odd. If only b/c the only date we could use
if the file timestamp of the pkg and packages will sometimes sit in a
space before being pushed to a repo officially. So it will be something
of a crapshoot what it says is really broken or not.

I think a tool to detect all these issues is worth discussing, not sure
how we catch all possible conflicts, though.

-sv