fedorahosted git repo too large

Yuan Yijun bbbush.yuan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:18:06 UTC 2008

2008/8/6 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>:
> Yuan Yijun wrote:
>> I just tried to download revisor git with this command "git pull
>> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/revisor master". I have to repeat
>> 4-5 times since it breaks during downloading. The .git folder is
>> about 58MB. After "git gc --aggressive" it becomes only 6MB.
>>
>> Anyone please run gc on server?
>
> Perhaps better would be repack.  There was a recent thread on the git
> list and one of the developers pointed out an older mail from Linus
> where he described gc --aggressive as "mostly dumb" and recommended
> that using something like "repack -a -d -f --depth=250 --window=250"
> instead.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel/94613

See that. The repack command is so hard to remember, while "git gc" is
fast enough and also runs repack, AND the .git folder becomes 6.6MB
without --aggressive...

I guess the only problem is git version on server is too old, AFAIK
new git will repack automatically when commit or push or before fetch
(?)

--
bbbush ^_^